Sydney is known for its magnificent locations, stunning natural beauty, and of course, its iconic beaches. With so many great options available to you, it can be hard to decide exactly where to go or what to do. Our Ultimate Sydney Beach Holiday Bucket List will guide you through some of the best beaches, sights and fun activities to enjoy in the region.
Go beach-hopping and make a weekend of it by booking your stay at our Coogee Hotel today. Our hotel is perfectly situated near beautiful Coogee Beach, placing you right in the middle of the action.
Choose from a wide range of available rooms and suites, and get ready to enjoy an unforgettable beachside holiday under the summer sun.
The first beach on our list is a great family choice loaded with plenty of calm surfing and bodyboarding opportunities. Coogee Beach comes with all the necessary facilities such as showers, changing rooms and toilets. The beach also has on-duty lifeguards, along with numerous shops, activities and beach volleyball courts.
Coogee is smaller than its counterpart Bondi, but that’s not such a bad thing. The beach is not nearly as crowded, which gives you more space to enjoy the sunshine at your own pace.
If you need to refuel at any time, there are plenty of cafes and restaurants lining the beachfront radiating that gentle Australian beach vibe. Visitors claim that the sunset at Coogee is a sight to behold — the perfect finish to a romantic getaway or a family vacation.
Another great way to get into the holiday spirit is to have a beachside barbecue! There’s no better way to make the most of a sunny day than one surrounded by family, friends and a plate of freshly grilled food. Coogee comes fully equipped with electric barbeque facilities, so no need to bring a disposable one with you.
A picnic by the seashore is a great alternative if a barbie isn’t your thing. Enjoy soaking up the sun with a sandwich or two and let the gentle ocean breeze keep things cool.
The Perfect Summer Destination
There are many reasons why Coogee Beach is the perfect destination for your summer holiday. Whether you are dropping in for a family staycation or treating a loved one to a romantic weekend away, the area caters to all ages.
- Take a break from the beach by making your way south to the beautiful tidal pool at Wylie’s Baths.
- Relax and stay in shape with Yoga classes at the Living Room Yoga Studio. Practice yoga and enjoy stunning ocean views at the same time in a revitalising experience that will fill you with newfound energy.
- Take the family to the nearby Centennial Park. This playground is only 15-minutes away by car and comes with plenty of activities to keep the whole family occupied. There are plenty of bike tracks to enjoy and you can also explore the parkland on horseback.
- Experience the amazing waters of Sydney with your own water scooter at Underwater Scooter Tours. Relax, float or even dive below to get a closer look at Australia’s unique marine life. All the necessary equipment is provided.
- Take in amazing coastal views from Dunningham Reserve. This park comes with large grassed areas, picnic shelters, and lots of native flora to admire.
- Find paradise in the middle of the busy town. Fred Hollows Reserve will provide you with the escape that you desperately crave. This little piece of nature is worth walking down at least once—an amazing hidden gem in Randwick that not many people actually know about!
- See some of the best Aboriginal artwork in the country at the Cooee Aboriginal Art Gallery. Located on the quiet Bondi street, this gallery is filled with authentic Aboriginal artifacts in different price ranges.
- Learn more about Aboriginal and colonial history at La Perouse Museum. This two-storey museum comes with ample interesting artefacts and plenty of exciting Aboriginal stories. The exhibition on the marine life of the region is of particular interest—a must-see!
- Watch a movie at one of the oldest cinema theatres in Sydney! Ritz Cinema has been around since 1937 and still gives off the same luxurious vibes today. And did we mention that you can buy and bring your own alcohol into the theatre?—Talk about a fun movie night out!
- Stock up on quality, locally-sourced products at Bondi Markets. Spend an unforgettable Saturday morning browsing great food and local wares in one of Sydney’s most iconic markets. There’s plenty of street food and beachwear to go around!
- Spend a day at the races at Royal Randwick Australian Turf Club. It’s your opportunity to dress up, share champagne and enjoy a great afternoon out at the races with friends and family.
Where is Coogee Beach?
Coogee Beach is only 9km away from Sydney CBD (approximately 20-minutes by car). It’s only a 2-minute walk from Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach.
The iconic Bondi Beach might actually be the most famous beach in Australia. Its golden sands stretch for more than one kilometre and it’s known the world over! Famed for its large waves, Bondi is also one of the top surfing destinations in the world. If you want a good dose of Australian beach culture, this is definitely the place to be.
Unfortunately, being the world’s best at everything does come at a price. That is that Bondi Beach gets extremely busy. So if you want to make the most of it, make sure to arrive early. If it’s busier than you would like, Coogee beach is equally as beautiful and offers many of the same benefits… minus the hoards of people.
You can experience both Coogee and Bondi on the same day by taking the popular Bondi to Coogee walk. You can make it from one beach to the other in 45 minutes.
Where is Bondi Beach?
Bondi is only 5km away from Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach (approximately 10-minutes by car). Click here to view the route.
Bronte Beach is another great choice if you want to escape the crowds without having to give up your quintessential beach day. A stunning location that you just need to experience for yourself, Bronte Beach is situated between Coogee and Bondi and can be enjoyed on the Bondi to Coogee walk.
The beach is quite popular with surfers, while the rock pool at the southern end of the beach provides a safe haven for families who would rather not deal with the big waves.
Bronte Beach is highly accessible and surprisingly quiet; making it one of the best family beach destinations in Sydney. There’s plenty of room for picnics overlooking the sapphire-blue ocean along with plenty of cafes, restaurants and takeaways along the beachfront.
Where is Bronte Beach?
Bronte Beach is 4km away from Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach (approximately 7 minutes by car). Click here to view the route.
If you’re looking to escape the crowds and spend some quality time with family or friends, Maroubra Beach is the place to go. Maroubra may not be as popular as its neighbours Coogee and Bondi, but it is just as beautiful. With some of the biggest waves in the area, Maroubra Beach is the perfect surfing destination.
Although wild and untamed, Maroubra Beach is patrolled all-year-round. So you can enjoy your swim without having to worry. The clean sand and crystal waters draw many families here on the weekends. There are also quite a few scenic picnic areas where you can have your lunch and soak up stunning ocean views.
Where is Maroubra Beach?
Maroubra Beach is 3km away from Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach (approximately 5 minutes by car). Click here to view the route.
Tamarama Beach is special, in that it’s quite narrow compared to other beaches in the area. It’s a little bit secluded but gives off a luxurious beachside vibe. The locals call it ‘Glamarama’, a reference to the glamorous photogenic locals who gather here to sunbathe.
If you want to avoid the crowds and enjoy a relaxing sunbathing session with family or friends, you won’t find a better place than here. Although narrow, Tamarama offers plenty of barbecue and picnic opportunities. Take a break from the scorching heat and enjoy a fresh juice from the newly-renovated beach kiosk or grab a coffee from the small cafe located on-site.
A word of warning to inexperienced swimmers and surfers is to be careful of the strong rip currents that are found off of here. Always swim between the red and yellow flags that designate the safe swimming spots.
Where is Tamarama Beach?
Tamarama Beach is 4km away from Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach (approximately 8 minutes by car). Click here to view the route.
Malabar Beach is spectacular with its thin, golden sand tucked into Long Bay. It’s also backed by Cromwell Park and is fringed by beautiful trees, rocks and plants on both sides.
The water at Malabar Beach is surprisingly calm, making it an ideal beach for families with smaller children. Go snorkelling or scuba diving and witness the shipwrecked MV Malabar and Goolgowi up close. Paddleboarding is also a fun option for those who prefer to stay above the gentle waves.
There’s also a guarded rock pool just before the golf course on Howe St. The children’s playground in Cromwell Park is another great addition. You’ll find barbecue and picnic facilities inside the park for those who want to enjoy an alfresco lunch or dinner by the sea.
Where is Malabar Beach?
Malabar Beach is 6km away from Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach (approximately 10 minutes by car). Click here to view the route.
Stay at Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach
Your beach holiday adventure begins here at Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach. Located in the middle of the main coastline, Crowne Plaza offers a convenient location from which you can easily explore the Eastern Suburbs and all of the amazing beaches it has to offer.
Whether you are travelling as a family, a couple or on business, our range of modern fresh new room interiors, which are great for families. Enjoy the comfort of some redesigned bathroom as well as ocean views for a great choice for a midweek or weekend break. Get ready to discover the best way by staying by the beach in Sydney and book with us today!