Holidays and beach go hand in hand – in any season – including winter!
Whether you enjoy watching the waves roll in, the water sparkling when hit with those warm winter rays, snuggling up at a cosy cafes that warm bodies (and bellies), wandering Coogee village for that fix of shopping and dining or strolling the coastal walkways at your leisure – Coogee is sure to turn it on for you. It’s also when Sydney is on display, with a lively calendar of events – just a short car or a one-stop bus ride away from Coogee.
Here are Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach’s top winter experiences:
- Scout out local, at Coogee village – create a winter haven at home and shop the carefully curated homewares and fashion collection at Lived in Coogee and Black Boho. The Dreamer Label is always a top pick for women’s fashion, while By San Sebastian is a must-stop for kids-wear and shoes
- Food, glorious food – Sugarcane for delicious Asian-inspired cuisine, Little Jack Hornerfor cocktails and a great vibe, or Le Petit Cafe for fresh French pastries, crepes and other delicacies. A family favourite is Coogee Pavilion with its large games area for kids .
- A winter stroll by the coast – the Coogee to Bondi Coastal Walk is a spectacular 6-kilometre walk, traversing the dramatic Eastern Suburbs coastline. Check out the big wave surfers from the prime headland positions in right conditions, and look out for whales migrating north during early winter
- Inner Zen, with yoga at The Living Room – across from the hotel, this studio hosts a variety of yoga classes seven days a week, throughout the day and evening
- Movies with heritage – check out the latest films at ‘The Spot’, aptly named for its shopping, specialty stores, dining, and the heritage Ritz Cinema to watch the latest films
Vivid Sydney – dazzling with lights, music and ideas – 26 May – 17 June 2017
Sydney is transformed by a flood of lights, colour and music for the annual Vivid Sydney festival. A jam-packed schedule of creative workshops and events, and with free installations lighting up a variety of iconic locations across the city, it is a ‘must-do’ in the Sydney calendar.
Highlight events in the program include:
- VividLIVE is the contemporary music program at the Sydney Opera House that runs for VIVID, this year with special guests including Air, The Avalanches, Beth Orton and more
- Sydney Opera House sails will be brought to life, with designs by Ash Bolland, with a series of imaginary creatures that morph into the environment
- Royal Botanical Gardens will display a lit trail that leads visitors through the gardens while pulsing with colour, with a ‘You lookin’ at me?’ installation see eyes peering up from the soil at passers-by
- Barangaroo is Vivid’s newest precinct, and will host a pathway of installations and optical illusions – look out for the ‘Trapdoor’ that has you thinking you’re about to fall into the centre of the earth
A highlight in the winter calendar – Bondi Winter Magic is back, bigger and better. The Eastern Suburbs host this winter spectacle with a variety of entertainment including camel rides on Bondi Beach, and the Southern Hemisphere’s largest beachside rink for an icy skate with family and friends.
Sydney Film Festival – 7 – 18 June 2017
One of the world’s oldest film festivals, with the best in cinema from Australia and around the world, and more than 250 screenings for event goers. Twelve films vie for the Official Competition, judged by Australian and international filmmakers and industry professionals, with a chance to win a $60,000 cash prize.
Cheer, cheer the red and the white! Nothing beats the atmosphere of an AFL home game. Watch the mighty Sydney Swans battle it out at the Sydney Cricket Ground at one of their many home games. * games until late August 2017
An evening with Jane Goodall, Hordern Pavillion – 23 June 2017
The Jane Goodall Institute Australia and Think Inc. present a rare opportunity to meet Dr Jane Goodall, renowned for her studies on the chimpanzees of Tanzania.
Titanic The Exhibition at Moore Park – On until 30 June 2017
In Sydney for the first time! Head to Moore Park, for a real life journey into the heart of the Titanic, to experience the world’s largest and most comprehensive exhibition about this iconic ship. Visitors receive a passengers boarding pass, and come face to face with an actual iceberg. Experience spectacular recreations including the grand staircase, and experience over 300 artefacts dating back over 100 years and memorabilia from the blockbuster film.
English Premier League club, Arsenal, kick off in Sydney – 13 & 15 July 2017
It has been 40 years since Arsenal were last in Sydney, and now – they are back. Take part in sporting history, with two blockbuster games at ANZ Stadium playing Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers.
College Football Sydney Cup – 27 August 2017
USA College Football returns to Sydney, with Allianz Stadium hosting this unforgettable sporting experience as Stanford University takes on Rice University. The event is set to be a spectacle complete with mascots, cheerleaders, marching bands and the canon!